Sunday 19 January 2020

Simple Pleasures.

2020, I think, will be my year of simple pleasures.

They are what makes me the happiest and the most content.
Things that bring me joy and cost nothing- or very little.

What are these things?

Sleeping with the window opened a tiny bit so I can feel a soft breeze wafting across my cheeks. I grew up in a house with only a wood-stove and a fireplace for heating so I LOVE a cold bedroom.

Enjoying a cup of coffee made JUST the way I like it. I like to enjoy mine sitting outside listening to the birds but where I live now all I would get is exhaust fumes off the cars that go by on the main thoroughfare. So I enjoy mine by the big lovely window in my living-room. It overlooks the golf course so if I turn some music on it kind of drowns out the traffic sounds.


Listening to classical music. I love chamber music. It relaxes me and send me to another level of calm and serenity.

Taking a long hot bubble bath. I'm not big on the candles aspect of it- mainly because I haven't found a scented candle I like that doesn't smell like food- and that just makes me want to get finished as quickly as possible in the bath so I can go make me a sammich. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Sitting out in the garden or taking a long walk in a park or the forest and enjoying nature. Betty and I went to one back last summer and it was one of the most amazing places ever. I want to go again come spring when everything is blooming and just turning green again. We vowed we were going back in the autumn to see the colours, but life got in the way and we didn't make it. But this spring we will!!

Watching snow fall. Oh My Gosh- one of the most beautiful and serene activities on earth. and in the morning or late at night when there is a couple of inches on the ground and everyone is off the roads and snugged inside their homes- you can step outside and hear what total silence sounds like. This world is bombarded with mind numbing, constant noise. My mind yearns for the quiet solitude and stillness of the mountains and valleys of Valhalla.

Eating a slice of bacon or a piece of fried chicken. And my sister's mac & cheese. Or Olives. Or anything I crave. Not overdoing it- just having a nibble. the last time Betty and I went shopping together for her Christmas decor, she brought me to a lovely little pub for lunch. We sat by the fireside, and bought a sharing tray of nibbly bits. My gosh but that was one of the best lunches I have ever had- we didn't have to shop for it- we didn't have to make it- we just sat back and enjoyed nibbling and being in each others company. Best Lunch date EVER!

Doing something creative. I have so many things I do to be creative.I'm taking a course on Photography at the moment- Learning all the fiddly bits my husband doesn't have the patience to teach me. I'm doing a purge of all my earthy possessions and am having to be ruthless. So I am having to come up with creative solutions to store the things I want to keep and it is proving quite a challenge. But I can do it.

Yes- this year is going to be full of challenges and simple pleasures. I guess a Goddess CAN have it all!!!






1 comment:

  1. Oh Elena. Let this be the year of satisfaction. In Spring let's go back to the park. Let's have olives and chats by the fire

    2020 is the year that we are forged in the fire. We are made of tougher stuff. Let's make this year the year of making dreams come true.

    We've got this girl!!!

    Lots of love

    The Fabulous Betty Rage xxxx

    ReplyDelete